We answer all of your questions on trading in your pre-loved Apple product or PC and give you step-by-step instructions on a savvy way to recycle your old product for a brand new one.
What can I trade in?
Trade-ins are offered on previously loved iPhone, Mac, Apple Watch, iPad and Apple TV products. You will also be able to trade in your Windows Laptop as well for a 11-inch or selected MacBook Air 13-inch and MacBook Pro 13-inch (non touch-bar)! More on that later. The process involves trading-in your previously loved product and purchasing a new one.
How do I know the value of the product I am trading in?
Easy! You can do this by visiting iStore or by using the online checker at http://myistore.co.za/trade-in/. The online value is subject to change depending on an in store evaluation.
Here are the steps:
1. Go to https://www.myistore.co.za/help-center/trade-in
2. Tap “How much can I get Back”
4. Type in your serial or IMEI number and follow the prompts to view the potential trade-in amount.
What do I need to do before I bring my product in for Trade-in?
Remember to back up the data on your current product at home before coming into the store. When you go into the store to do your trade-in, remember to take your product, your ID as well as your proof of banking details which will enable iStore to pay the trade-in value directly into your bank account. To get a better trade-in value, remember to take your charger for your Mac, iPad or iPhone with you as well.
I have backed everything up, I have checked the estimated value on the online tracker, what next?
Go into iStore with your Apple product and all of the accessories. Our technicians will do an assessment and confirm the trade-in value. If you are happy with the amount, you can go ahead and buy your new Mac, iPad or iPhone and your old Apple product will then be sent to our service centre to confirm that no 3rd party hardware parts have been installed/used. The trade-in value will be transferred into your bank account within 14 working days. Trade-in value for Apple TV and PC Laptop will offset against your new purchase at the same time as the trade-in.
Do I need to trade-in before I can buy a new product?
You do not have to trade in before you buy a new product. You can purchase your new product and bring your old product in for an assessment and trade in within 30 days of your new purchase. Remember that you would have had to buy your new product from iStore and bring your proof of purchase with you when you come in to do your trade in.
How do I get the ‘cash’ back from my old Mac, iPad or iPhone?
You will get the value of your previously owned Apple product paid directly in to your bank account once we have done a full assessment and confirmed that no third party hardware parts have been used or installed. Once this has been done, and you accept the trade-in value, the amount will be transferred into your account within 14 working days. A reminder that in order to trade-in you need to purchase a new Apple product at iStore.
How does it work if I’m still on an iPhone contract or I haven’t finished paying off an iPhone? Can you buy me out of the contract?
You have the choice to trade in your product at any point in time but please note that if the product is not yet paid off, either with your service provider or on your iStore card, you will still be liable for the remaining amount that is owing on the product. You can use the money that you get from the trade-in towards paying off the old product.
Tell me more about how to trade in my Windows PC Laptop and what I can get in return?
When you trade in your Windows PC you can get up to R2500 towards selected MacBook Air or MacBook Pro models. All you need to do is take it to your nearest iStore to have it valued and you will get an up front discount on a new Mac.
There are a few things to note:
1. There can be no physical damage to the PC Laptop. This includes but is not limited to cracked screens, missing keys on keyboard or broken covers.
2. The PC Laptop must turn on and boot into the operating system.
3. The PC Laptop must include the AC adapter and battery, both in working condition
4. All data will be removed from the hard drive of the PC Laptop once traded-in so please ensure to create your own backup before you bring it in.
Can you help me familiarise myself with my new Apple Product?
iStore offers free in-store training, for those who buy from iStore, to help you get better acquainted with your Mac, iPad and iPhone. If your product was very old, it may be that you need to learn about the ins and outs of the latest operating system that your new Mac, iPad or iPhone comes with. Visit https://www.myistore.co.za/help-center/training-form to make a booking.
To recap, here is a quick summary of what you need to do:
1. Check the value of your product using the online checker.
2. Back up the data on your old product.
3. Go into iStore with your old product and all of the accessories as well as your ID and proof of banking details.
4. iStore technicians will do an in store evaluation on the product and confirm the trade-in value.
5. If you are happy you can purchase your new product.
6. You can opt to trade in your old product at this point, or you can bring it in within 30 days of purchasing your new product.
7. Wait up to 14 working days to receive your trade-in value in your account.
8. Enjoy your new Apple product!
For more information visit https://www.myistore.co.za/trade-in
For more information on payment options with your iStore Card, visit https://www.myistore.co.za/help-center/istore-card