Apple has designed your Apple Watch to work seamlessly with your iPhone and Apple TV. Here’s a basic how-to on pairing them to make day-to-day tasks a whole lot easier.
How to pair your Apple Watch with my iPad or iPhone
Before you get started:
1. You need to have an iPhone 5 or later with the latest iOS.
2. Check that your Bluetooth is turned by going to Settings > Bluetooth.
3. Make sure your iPhone is connected to Wi-Fi or a cellular network.
4. Put on your Apple Watch and position it close to your iPhone so that they can sync.
Step by step instructions on how to pair your Apple Watch with your iPhone:
Turn on your Apple Watch
Press and hold down the button on the side of your Apple Watch to turn it on. Rotate the Digital Crown to make your selections.
Open the Apple Watch on your iPhone
Once you have opened the app on your iPhone, tap Start Pairing. An animation will appear on your Apple Watch, hover your iPhone over your Apple Watch and centre the watch face in the viewfinder. After a few seconds, a message will pop up to say that it has paired.
If you’re unable to use the camera, you can tap Pair Apple Watch Manually and it will take you through a series of steps to do so.
Set up your Apple Watch on your iPhone
Using the Apple Watch app on your iPhone, tap Set Up as New Apple Watch. If you have already been through this process before, you can also restore from back up. Select which wrist you are wearing it on. If an Activation Lock screen appears, it means that your Apple Watch is already linked to an Apple ID. You need to enter the email address and passwords that corresponds to this in order to continue setting up your Apple Watch. There are a couple other settings that you will need to configure.
1. Set up route tracking to track workout routes and activate Location Services to track the weather.
2. Choose whether or not to use Siri.
3. You will be shown which settings your Apple Watch shares with your iPhone. These are automatically turned on for your Apple Watch.
4. You will need to sign in with your Apple ID password next in order to use certain features like Handoff.
5. Create a password for your Apple Watch. Switch to your Apple Watch to enter the new code. You can decide whether unlocking your iPhone or iPad automatically unlocks your iPhone.
6. Set up the Activity app and SOS (this is an automatic call function in emergency situations). You can also do this later.
7. Sync the apps that are on your iPhone that can also work on your Apple Watch.
How to pair your Apple Watch with Apple TV
Pairing your Apple Watch and Apple TV allows you to use your Apple Watch as a remote to control music on your Apple TV. This is done through the Remote app on your Apple Watch.
Step by step instructions on how to pair your Apple Watch with your Apple TV:
Set up the Remote app
1. Make sure that your Apple TV and Apple Watch are on the same Wi-Fi network.
2. Open the Remote app on your Apple Watch and tap Add Device.
3. On your Apple TV (4th Generation), go to Settings > Remotes and Devices > Remote app, then select your Apple Watch. For Apple TV (2nd or 3rd Generation), Go to Settings > General > Remotes, then select your Apple Watch.
4. A passcode will appear on your Apple Watch. Enter this on on your Apple TV. Once the pairing icon appears on your Apple Watch, you will be able to start controlling your Apple TV with your Apple Watch.
5. To use going forward, make sure that your Apple TV is awake, open the Remote app on your Apple Watch and select your Apple TV. You can control it using different gestures likes swiping to move through the menu, tapping Menu to go back or pressing play or pause.